For Visitors



To visit China, most non-Chinese citizens need a visa in addition to a valid passport. For more detailed visa information, please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in China:

If you are invited to visit AMSS, please follow these instructions to get a valid visa.

1. First, be sure your passport is current and valid for at least 6 months after your planned visit.

2. Know which category of Chinese visa you need.

There are numerous types of visa available to non-Chinese residents when visiting China. You will need to apply for the correct type of visa, depending on the purpose of your travel to China. For the different visa categories, please visit

For short-term visitors to AMSS, we recommend that you apply for “F” (business) or “L” (tourist) type visas. The easiest way is to apply for a tourist visa.

3. Applying for a “L” (tourist) category visa

You can apply for a Chinese tourist visa without any special documentation from AMSS. Such visas are issued to foreigners for sightseeing, visiting relatives or other personal affairs, and are marked “L”.

L visas allow short stays, usually 30 days and no more than 90 days, and cannot be extended upon expiry. Some countries have reciprocal visa arrangements with China which allow multiple entries over more than one year.

To apply for an L visa, you can either go in person to a Chinese embassy, consulate or other diplomatic mission which handles visa applications, or can entrust a travel agency or visa agency to act on your behalf. Postal applications are often not accepted. Please check the website for your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate to check opening hours, the availability of postal or expedited services, and whether or not you need an appointment.

4. Applying for an “F” (business) category visa

For short-term visits to AMSS, you may also apply for an “F” category visa (business visa). For this, you will need an official visa notification form (also known as a “visa application letter”).

To get this, please send your personal information (as listed below) to the person at AMSS who has invited you. He or she will contact Scientific Research Office to apply for a visa application letter for you.

The information should include:





Date of Birth




Passport number


Passport expiration date


Profession and title


Expected date of arrival in China


Expected date of departure


Mailing address


Chinese embassy or consulate where you will apply for the visa


If you intend to apply for a multiple entry visa, you should also provide an electronic copy of any previous “F” category visas you were issued, and your plan for future visits to China (at least 2 more entries to China within one year, with the purpose, time, place, and source of funding for your visits).

An official invitation letter requires at least ten working days to process. Applicants should initiate the process as early in their travel plans as possible.

5. Applying for a "Z" category visa

If you are going to visit AMSS for more than 180 days, or going to be formally employed by AMSS, you need to apply for a Z type visa. Below is the current application procedure for Z type visa. Please refer to this procedure and obtain your visa before come to AMSS. We also suggest that you should consult the local secretary or the staff at Scientific Research Office if you have any questions during the visa application.

Step 1: Contact your collaborator at AMSS, and prepare a contract and plan for your visit.

Step 2: Prepare the forms and materials for application for an official visa notification form and Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit in China.

Step 3: AMSS staff will apply for an official visa notification form (which normally needs two weeks) and a Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit (which normally needs one month) for you in China.

Step 4: AMSS staff will send the electronic version of the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit to you.

Step 5: Present the notification letter and other relevant documents at the embassy or consulate office of the People’s Republic of China when applying for a Z visa.

Step 6: Enter China with Z visa.

Step 7: You are required to complete temporary residential registration within 24 hours of your arrival in China. Please scan the QR code and follow.

Step 8: Complete your medical examination and get an official Health Certificate. This has to be done at the Haidian Clinic of Beijing International Travel Healthcare Centre, #10 Dezheng Street, Haidian District. You had better make a reservation on the website.

Step 9: Within 15 days of entry into China, present your valid visa, employment contract and other relevant documents to the local government department in charge of foreigners working in China to apply for a foreigner’s work permit. AMSS staff will help you prepare the necessary documents and apply for the work permit.

Step 10: Within thirty (30) days of entry into the People’s Republic of China, after obtaining the work permit, you should present the work permit and other relevant documents to the Entry-Exit Administration of the Public Security Bureau (near Yonghegong Lama Temple) to apply for a work-type residence permit. You are required to prepare the necessary documents. When all the documents are ready, AMSS staff will help you to apply for.



1. Extensions of the foreigner’s work permit should be done yearly and at least 30 days in advance of the expiration date.

2. Most of the procedures should be done with the help of the local secretary and AMSS staff at Scientific Research Office, so please keep in close touch with them throughout the process and let them know if you have any questions.

6.Applying for an X category visa

Foreigners coming to China for study shall apply for a student visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in their country of nationality or country of residence.

There are two types of student visa: X1 type visas are usually issued to students planning to study for over 180 days; X2 type visas are usually issued to students planning to study for less than 180 days.

For more information on applying for X visas, you may refer to the guidance on the website of the University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences:

7. Submitting visa application materials at your local Chinese consulate or embassy

Please note that different countries or cities may require different visa application materials. Please visit the website of the local Chinese consulate or embassy to check exactly which materials are necessary before making your application.

You must allow adequate time (at least 1.5 months) for the whole visa application process.

Please note that it is your responsibility to obtain an appropriate visa on time.


                           LIVE IN AMSS


Beijing Capital International Airport

①Airport Express


T2: 06:35-23:10

T3: 06:20-22:50

Dongzhimen: 06:00-22:30

Interval: 10 minutes


Station location in the Airport:

Terminal 2: B2 of Parking Garage No. 2

Terminal 3: F2 of Parking Garage No. 3



Single Trip: RMB 25/per person


Connection to Subway Lines

Sanyuanqiao Station connects to Subway Line #10. You can go to AMSS at Zhizhunlu Station after tranferring line #10 in Sanyuanqiao.

Dongzhimen Station connects to Subway Line 2 and Subway Line #13



Airport Express has 4 stops: Dongzhimen, Sanyuanqiao, T3 and T2



Taxi Location in the Airport:

T1: Outside Gate 1 on F1

T2: Outside Gate 5 to 9 on F1

T3: Please refer to the signs inside the terminal building


The charge for taxi is about 120 RMB from Beijing Capital International Airport to AMSS.



According to Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China, When foreigners stay in hotels in China, the hotels shall register their accommodation in accordance with the regulations on the public security administration of the hotel industry, and submit foreigners’ accommodation registration information to the public security organs in the places where the hotels are located.

We have some interior residence resources, including Scientific Complex and Youth Apartment. Youth Apartment can be qualified to make registration for foreigners' accommodation, while the Scientific Complex can not. If you plan to visit AMSS, please make a reservation of the residence at least one month in advance.


Scientific Complex

Single Room: 130RMB/day

Suite: 200RMB/day

Tel: 010-82541707


Youth Apartment

One living room and one bedroom: 260RMB/day

One living room and two bedrooms: 330RMB/day

Tel: 010-82541707


You can also reserve hotels close to AMSS, including

Wuke Hotel

Stand room: 298RMB/day

Tel: 010-82649482


Liaoning International Hotel

Stand room:550RMB/day







Usually, your host will arrange an office room for you with a computer. If you want to surf the internet by wireless access in public areas of AMSS, you can open a new webpage from Web browser and fill out online application form. If you have some troubles on filling out the form, you may find your host or laboratory secretaries very helpful.



AMSS ID CARD can be obtained in administrative office of the institutes, you can ask your inviter to consult the relevant administrative officer.

Institute of Mathematics



Institute of Applied Mathematics



Institute of Systems Science



Institute of Computational Mathematics and Scientific/Engineering Computing


The card can be used as dinner card and can be recharged in our cafeteria.



     After your arrival, you can present your passport and leave a copy file of personal information page in the passport to your host for your visiting stipend. If your international air tickets will be financially supported by your host, please leave the original receipt, itinerary and boarding pass to him/her for reimbursement.

Copyright@2008,All Rights Reserved, Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science,CAS
Tel:86-10-82541777 Fax: 86-10-82541972 E-mail:
京ICP备05002806-1号 京公网安备110402500020号